UK National Liver Histopathology EQA Scheme
This specialist histopathology EQA scheme is open to histopathologists in the UK and Ireland. Members include pathologists with a specialist interest in liver pathology working in hepatology centres, and also pathologists in district hospitals wishing to maintain and develop their interest in hepatopathology.
The primary purpose of this scheme is educational - to provide CPD material both to the members through participation in twice-yearly slide circulations, and to non-members through access to the virtual slides and PowerPoint summaries of previous open meeting discussions.
For convenience, the help for EQAlite participants is also available here .
This includes logging in, slide circulation, certificates, and slide submission.
Circulation LW will run in spring 2021.
Circulation LV for 2020 completed in October and was discussed on 5th November 2020.
The results and CPD certificates are available through EQAlite,
General information and detailed SOPs have been last updated in March 2014.
This 4th version was circulated to Liver EQA members in March 2014 and discussed and agreed at the Cellular Pathology NQAAP meeting at the RCPath in April 2014.
The SOPs have been revised again to reflect the changes in administrative arrangements for the scheme, These will be circulated to members for agreement prior to being submitted to NQAAP.
The earlier 2007 and 2011 versions, are saved in the EQA archive at the foot of this page.
- General information about the scheme
- Detailed SOPs of the scheme (fourth version, 2014)
- Draft: Detailed SOPs of the Scheme (sixth version, 2016)
New case submission form
- Please submit new cases on line via EQAlite, using the link http://www.histopathologyeqa.org/ and go to [submit cases], click on [new].
- - we require 20x H&E sections and one slide of any essential special stains to be scanned and viewed on line.
- For biopsies of chronic liver disease, please also send a glass slide of a connective tissue stain, so that evaluation can include the stage of the disease.
The scheme is accepting new members who are consultant histopathologists in the UK or Ireland, who have responsibility for reporting liver biopsies in specialist centres or in a DGH setting. In the RCPath Tissue Pathways for Medical Liver Biopsies, is recommended that pathologists who are the lead for liver in their Trust are members of the scheme.
You can register for the scheme using the link http://www.histopathologyeqa.org/
Contact email addresses
- Organiser: (Dr.Judy Wyatt) Judy.Wyatt@leedsth.nhs.uk
Facilitator: Kara O'Connell
(telephone 0113 2068935, email email@example.com)
Facilitator cover (in Kara's absence): Jas Sond
(telephone 0113 2068762, email Jas.Sond@nhs.net)
- Liver EQA Circulation LV 2020
- Liver EQA Circulation LU Autumn 2019
- Liver EQA Circulation LT Spring 2019
- Liver EQA Circulation LS Autumn 2018
- Liver EQA Circulation LR Spring 2018
- Liver EQA Circulation LQ Autumn 2017
- Liver EQA Circulation LP Spring 2017
- Liver EQA Circulation LO Autumn 2016
- Liver EQA Circulation LN Spring 2016
- Liver EQA Circulation LM August 2015
- Liver EQA Circulation LL April 2015
- Liver EQA Circulation K1 Autumn 2014
- Liver EQA Circulation J1 Spring 2014
- Liver EQA Circulation I1 Autumn 2013
- Liver EQA Circulation H1 Spring 2013
- Liver EQA Circulations 2003-2012
- Check list of diagnoses from previous circulations
- Collation of results by diagnosis
The main value of the EQA scheme is educational. Since July 2003, liver EQA slides have been available as digital images, and can be reviewed together with the responses of the scheme participants and a summary of the meeting discussion. Twice a year, a new circulation with 12 cases is added.
It is often the case with liver biopsies that there is more than one diagnosis present, and/or that the diagnosis includes both morphological and aetiological components. The liver EQA response form is designed to accommodate this, although it is a challenge to condense the free text responses into diagnostic categories for discussion at the EQA meeting.
Ideally, open two windows. View the virtual slides with information provided, make up your mind, check your diagnosis, and read the discussion in the powerpoint presentation. (You can also print yourself a CPD certificate to record your learning points).
Liver EQA archive
- Letter to members July 2017
- Letter to members April 2017
- Letter to members January 2017
- Previous correspondence (2013 - 2016)
- Previous correspondence (2007 - 2012)
Previous correspondence to members, previous SOPs etc.